How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a deceased family member or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are lots of people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- Of the overall population, about 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some kind of hearing loss
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because health issues like mental decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated loss of hearing. As a matter of fact, new studies come out on a regular basis showing how crucial hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health problems (and in certain cases even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be a really persuasive point. But that cost can actually be decreased by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your old hearing aid can make a huge impact, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for a person in need who could not normally afford a hearing aid. It might also cost a child the ability to go to college and better their lives because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and see us so we can advise you on the right recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.